09.04.2017

22 things I've learned at 22

It's Sunday and on Thursday, it was my 22nd birthday, which once again makes me reflect on my life and my current situation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, there are just a couple of things I figured out by now and I really want to share them with you. Here are my 22 things I've learned at 22. 

  1. Educate yourself. Besides your actual studies (if you are at Uni), do some extracurricular activities, read books, learn languages, watch documentaries or travel. Be openminded to world politics and watch out for what's going on around you. Gain as much knowledge as you can, it will help you in the future and nobody can take it away from you. For example, I'm trying to learn as much languages as my schedule allows me to. 
  2. The world stands open. For me as a student it is quite hard to travel much, the main reason being the finances. But when I get the chance, it is my favourite thing to do. Getting to know different countries, cultures and people makes me feel happy.
  3. Go to bed earlier. One thing I can say for sure is, going to bed earlier is wiser, especially during the week and when you've got big things coming up. You're not just going to be able to focus better, but your body will thank you for it. Also, you're going to feel much better if you get up earlier and get shit done so you can watch Netflix in the evening. But sometimes it's ok to escalate, which leads me to..
  4. Work hard, party harder. Go out, get drunk, shake it out, meet people and most importantly, have fun! Right by the motto: "The best are the nights we don't remember, with the people we'll never forget!" To this rule there's also an exception..
  5. Not getting totally wasted is always a good idea. Not feeling like absolute shit the day after, the knowledge of drinking correctly is required. Everyone has slip-ups but the sooner you get to know yourself and how much you can take, the more fun you're going to be having. The key is finding the right level of befuddlement and knowing how to maintain it. One thing that helped me massively was not mixing your booze, just stick with one type. 
  6. Flats are always the wiser option. I don't wear heels much anyway, but when I do, I know why I don't. It would probably be easier for me if I would wear them more often and "practice", but I just need to walk quite much and a nice pair of flats or sneakers is just way more comfy. Although, when I do get the opportunity to wear them, I feel much more confident and sexy (at least until the pain hits me). 
  7. Work out! Besides the fact that I want to look at my pictures in the future and think, "damn my ass looked great back then", it also has proven health benefits, as we all know. So get your lazy ass out there and sweat! I spend a lot of time sitting and studying so working out is essential, when I don't, my back and neck start killing me. I'm mostly using the Nike NTC Training App, which I highly recommend!
  8. Eat healthy stuff. This goes hand in hand with my previous point. It's gonna make you feel and look better, trust me. Another important thing is, getting to know your body and finding out what is good for you and what your body might not tolerate well. I personally found out that apples and oranges make me break out, so does too much sugar and milk makes me feel bloated (tmi?).
  9. Invest in skincare. Or if you are blessed with perfect skin which doesn't need much treatment, at least invest in SPF. I know, good skincare doesn't have to be super pricey, but at some point, high quality ingredients have their value and price. My skin has always been my no. 1 cause of insecurity and since it has gotten better, I feel much more confident and comfortable as a whole. I think, it is also due to my age and getting out of puberty, but over the past years, I've discovered some pretty amazing products that have really helped me solve my issues. I'm aware of the fact that you shouldn't be always focused on your complexion, it just has a significance for me personally. 
  10. Sometimes you just shouldn't give a shit what people say. There are so many unhappy people out there, who are trying to infect you with their bad mood. Just don't let them! Your actions will never be in favour with everyone and it's all right that way. Bear in mind, they are the unhappy ones and not you.  Like DJ Khaled said: "They don't want you to win!"
  11. Get rid of negativity in your life. If there are people, like I mentioned before, or other sources of sadness, get rid of them. As you declutter your wardrobe, do the same with your life. If it's the one person that just annoys you, or the job you hate, put yourself first and tidy up. There's nothing wrong with being selfish!
  12. Nobody is giving you anything for free. It is clear, that you have to earn everything in life and by that, I don't mean just working for your money. It is the same principle with relationships, you need to work on them in order for them to work. It is simple math, you give something, you get something back. When people are trying and nothing comes back, they will give up on you, like you should stop trying with people, that clearly aren't interested in giving back. 
  13. Don't let anybody keep you off your dreams. I'm not that much into cheesy quotes and words of wisdom, but one quote, that I really can relate to, is this one by Plato: "The man who makes everything that leads to happiness depend upon himself, and not upon other men, has adopted the very best plan for living happily...". Following your dreams may become a challenge to other elements of your life, but everyone is the architect of his own fortune, so go for it. 
  14. There are some very bad people out there, but also some very nice ones. After having said so much about how bad people can be, let me end this on a rather positive note. You are definitely going to meet some very amazing people in your life, that will make you feel special and appreciated. Show them, that you care, be there for them and you will receive back. Life is just so much easier with your besties by your side!
  15. Gain experience. As I said with knowledge, you also should gain experience, it is only going to have benefits for your future. The key of doing that, is stepping out of your comfort zone, which may be the hardest thing to do for most of us. How many times have I missed an opportunity, just because I thought that I couldn't do it or that it is a bad idea. It may be a place that you always wanted to visit, or a person, simply go for it and don't be afraid of the outcome. Let me insert another quote from DJ Khaled here: "Don't ever play yourself!" To be honest, what does that quote even mean?
  16. Spend time with your family. I'm lucky to have a very tight relationship to my immediate family, and they play a huge role in my life. I've always been a family person, mine is actually quite big. I've made the experience that when everything crashes, they always have your back and they are always there for you, no matter what. I'm also trying to see my grandparents as much as I can, and one of my favourite things to do, is to grub in my family's history. Because sadly, one thing is certain, they are not going to stick around for ever. 
  17. Be grateful. You're going to be a much more positive and happy person, if you just stop looking what others might have, but simply appreciate what you've already got and achieved. There are people in worse situation than you around the world! Also show your gratitude to the people around you, who stand by you every step of the way. 
  18. It's ok to be in a bad mood. Everybody has shitty times, but I always like to remind myself that it always could be shittier. Worst case, smash some stuff on the floor, cry it out, get drunk, or do whatever you want, I know everyone has different methods to cope with stuff. But bear in mind, don't blame innocent people and don't let your anger out on them.
  19. Time heals all wounds. This is such a cliché to say, but it is the truth. If it's a fight with someone or dealing with loss, time will help.
  20. Allow yourself to feel. Feelings make us who we are, they make us feel alive and human. The most beautiful feeling is love, giving and receiving, so love fiercely and let love consume you. Unfortunately sometimes love comes with pain, so if someone breaks your heart, slay that bitch. 
  21. Keep a diary. I know, this is so old school and I haven't done it properly for quite a wile now, but keeping a journal is something I really enjoy doing, when I find time. Primarily I've got my schedule were I write down all my appointments and dead lines, but from time to time I love writing down certain occurrences that were particularly enjoyable, so I never forget what happened or what I felt at that moment. Naturally, I enjoy reading it a couple of years later as well. 
  22. It's totally fine not to have a plan. As my last point, I want to mention something that I'm sure is bothering a couple of us 20-something year olds. It is ok not to have your life figured out at the beginning of your 20s, or at the end of them. I'm going to do my thing, go to Uni, live my life as best as I can, but when someone asks me, where I see myself in 5-10 years, well, I'm sorry but I have no idea!
Do you agree, or not? Leave me your thoughts on the matter! Kisses, Eva :)
SHARE:

Keine Kommentare

Kommentar veröffentlichen

© LipstickForEva. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig